Abuse claim against the council

If you have suffered abuse while in the care of a local council then you may have a claim for compensation.

To find out if you can make an abuse claim against the council simply call our confidential free legal helpline on 0333 888 0445 or send an email to us at [email protected]

We deal with abuse compensation claims on a No Win, No Fee basis, so there is no financial risk preventing you from seeking justice.

The law relating to making an abuse claim against the council or local authority has recently swung in favour of abuse victims.

Judges had been particularly reluctant to hold local councils responsible where they failed to remove vulnerable children from harmful situations, including those involving abuse. The reasoning for this is that it would lead to defensive decision making in sensitive fields like social work, and that would not be in the public interest.

However, the courts have reconsidered the legal duty owed by councils in a case involving two young children who suffered psychological harm as a result of abuse and harassment from anti-social neighbours. The children were eventually rehoused by the council, but only after the damage had been done.

The court said that councils do have a responsibility to protect children from third parties and could be legally liable for failing to do so in certain circumsatances. Various factors come into play, such as whether the council had assumed responsibility to protect a vulnerable child, or has prevented someone else from protecting them.

An abuse claim against the council can therefore be made and we will be happy to review your case and let you know whether you will be entitled to compensation.

Our specialist abuse lawyers can also tell you all about how No Win, No Fee funding works.

For further information about making an abuse claim against the council call us on 0333 888 0445 or email us at [email protected]

Abuse claim against the council